Saturday, November 12, 2011

My Favorite Book


The next item on that 30-Day Blog Challenge I've been going through is "my favorite book".  This, like the favorite song and the favorite movie, cannot be whittled down to just one.  I have been a voracious reader since I was a kid, so many, many books have entertained me over the years.  Maybe not so many since I had my own kid, but I still manage to squeeze one in now and then.

I've read a lot of science fiction/fantasy over the years.  That's my favorite genre.  Some of my favorite writers are Jennifer Roberson, Piers Anthony, Orson Scott Card, Stephen R. Donaldson, and Roger Zelazny.  The first time I picked up a book by Orson Scott Card, I didn't put it down until I was finished.  Literally.  Didn't put it down.  I think it was about 3:00 in the morning when I finished--it was great!  I just love it when a book pulls you in like that!

But Roger Zelazny was my favorite.  His series about a magical royal family in the realm called Amber was masterful.  Twists and surprises and wry humor.  I read it in college and TOTALLY fell in love with the main character, a prince named Corwin.  There were 5 books in the first series, then several years later came a second series focusing on the offspring of the original characters.  A total of 10 books.  You can now get them all in a single volume at amazon.com... The Great Book of Amber: The Complete Amber Chronicles, 1-10.   Treat yourself--you won't be sorry!

I once wrote Roger Zelazny a fan letter, praising the Amber books and asking if they might possibly be made into a movie.  This was in about 1979.  He sent me a postcard reply, thanking me and saying there was interest in making a movie.  I'm still waiting.  It would be SO awesome.  Especially if Peter Jackson were to direct it....

--------

No comments: