Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A New President

Tuesday is my day off, so I was able to be at home yesterday with the TV on so I could watch the Inauguration ceremony (and related commentary). Actually, I had ALL the TVs on (the same channel) so I could go from room to room doing my normal activities and not miss anything.

I have to say, I was quite moved. I'm not so young and/or naive that I believe every word as if it's Gospel, but I really enjoyed President Obama's speech. It suggested to me that he is very aware of all the issues facing him and facing our country, and it seems that he plans to address them as quickly as possible. He put some of the responsibility on us, the people, which I really liked. I'm all for programs to help the truly disadvantaged, but too many people expect government intervention and "handouts" when they could be doing more to help themselves.

I also appreciated his comments addressing the rest of the world, and the reactions from many people in the global community. They appear (at least from the interviews I've seen on TV) to be happy that America has a new Administration, or at least willing to give our new President the benefit of the doubt for the time being. I've been so disgusted at the "bully" tactics of the last 8 years, that one of the main reasons I voted for President Obama is because I believe he has the right attitude and the right temperament to restore the "good name" of the United States. I'm not saying that I'm going to agree with his every little decision, but I'm certainly feeling a sense of optimism and hope!

I've been voting since 1978. And for the last 20 years or so, I haven't missed a vote. I vote in the "off" years, I vote in the primaries...and so does my husband. A 100% voting-attendance record for the Etz household. (And believe me, the local pollsters LOVE that!) I feel that voting is not only my right, it's my responsibility.

One thing that does freak me out a little is that this is the first President in my lifetime that's younger than I am. Hmmm...surely that doesn't mean I'm getting old?

--

No comments: