Friday, January 16, 2009

From Stressed to Drained...What a Day!

I had jury duty today. I've been dreading it all week. I really tried to get them to excuse me--sent an eloquent letter about how I'm a sole proprietor with no employees and it would be a financial hardship if I had to close down my store to appear... Got a form letter back with a checkmark next to the "denied" box. So I had to go.

But that's not all. My husband left this morning for an 8-day hunting trip. Out in the woods with his redneck buddies, riding the river in his airboat, the coldest week of the year here in Florida. More power to him!

Since I had to be at court this morning before my son had to be at school, it fell to DH to get him there. On time. With all necessary accessories: backpack (including completed homework), lunch box, karate bag with sparring gear, jacket, correct shoes, and (because today was Spirit Day)...an appropriately "spirited" painted face! I can only assume all went well, since neither the school nor the karate dojo called me with any issues.

I didn't sleep well last night. Kept waking up thinking about how to convince the judge to let me be excused. See, not only would I be missing work, but with my husband gone all week, there was no way I could get my son to school and be at court at the same time! So I woke up cranky and stressed this morning. Missed the face-painting, and barely had time to kiss hubby goodbye in any meaningful way since I won't be seeing him for a week. I also won't be seeing much of my son--he has to stay with Nana for the 3-day weekend since I'll be at work.

You have to understand...I'm most comfortable and happy when I'm in my normal daily routine. I like things to be relatively "the same" every day. Keeps me stress-free and humming along nicely. This morning was just about the most disruption to my routine that one could imagine! My stomach was in knots.

And the worst part? Or maybe it's actually the best part. I sat in the jury assembly room for 2-1/2 hours, answered the questions, took the oath...and waited. And waited some more. (I did take a book to read.) Then the clerk announces that the judge has gone through his docket material and it seems he won't be needing any of us. Dismissed the whole room! Yay!

So I made it to work not-too-late, had a couple of good sales, made a ring or two, finished the book I was reading in court, and now I'm just waiting for 6:00 to roll around so I can go home. I feel almost bored, after all that stress this morning! I have the house to myself tonight(if you don't count the dogs), I can stop for fast food on the way home if I want, and I can put my feet up and be in total control of the TV remote. Sounds good!

--

No comments: